I have acted for both commercial clients and regulatory bodies in cases involving heavily regulated business environments, including, for example:
- regional airport companies. I have advised on landing charges consultations, and a dispute regarding airport security designations;
- casinos. I often advise on regulatory issues relating to casino licensing and the conduct of casino gambling; Read more
- postal network access. I have given advice on pricing (including the application of ECPR), and consultation;
- regulation of international air carriage under Part 9 of the Civil Aviation Act 1990. This has included advice on the authorisation of a strategic alliance between two international airlines;
- the Public Works Act surplus lands offer-back regime. This has sometimes involved significant research into the history of the land ownership;
- the New Zealand electricity markets;
- also, telecommunications, including advice on a contract relating to the roll-out of Ultra-Fast Broadband.
I recently acted for the Commissioner of Inland Revenue in a three week trial involving alleged tax avoidance on the part of Cullen Group Ltd, a company found to be controlled by Eric Watson. The Commissioner’s assessment of over $112m (including penalty interest) was upheld.
In these contexts I frequently provide advice on complex issues of statutory and contract interpretation.
This work overlaps with some of my other practice areas such as public law, competition law, contract law, casino regulation, and trustee law.